The Fat Dog’s Battle of the Cocktails is just another reason why we appreciated (and adore) our unique, locally owned NoHo Arts District restaurants . Thanks for helping to #KeepNoHoArtsy!
They had us at cocktails. And if you’ve tried one of the The Fat Dog’s cocktails, you know what we mean. They’re by far the most unique blends of deliciousness in a glass.
So what exactly is the Battle of the Cocktails?
Each employee from The Fat Dog NoHo and Fairfax (bartender/server/and or barback!) is eligible to enter one cocktail that will be judged on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the best) on the following three categories. A) Name, B) Look and presentation of the cocktail and C) taste and balance of the cocktail.
The top four highest scoring cocktails will go directly onto The Fat Dog menu and, at the end of two weeks, whatever cocktail sells the most will be awarded the grand title of “Top Dog” and the cash money prize and prizes that goes with it.
This year, the top two cocktails will each receive $100 cash and remain on the menu for the entire summer at both locations. The Top Dog will also receive $250 to donate to an animal charity of their choice. All employees who participate will receive t-shirts and a bottle of wine just for judging and taking part.
“The Battle of The Cocktails was simply a creative and even more fun solution to an age old problem we as restaurant professionals are constantly being faced with – “How do you stay fresh and relevant in an industry that is constantly changing?” For us at The Fat Dog this translates into consistently offering food fare, craft beer and cocktails that are constantly changing and evolving with the seasons and times.
That being said, one of the things that our management team is most proud of as well is our staff. They are honestly some of the hardest working and most talented people in the business, and super creative on top of it! Recognizing this, we felt we would be foolish not to take advantage of the skill sets they all possess. Hence the idea for Battle of the Cocktails was born!
Though a fun and light-hearted event for our staff, its interest has also surprisingly spilled over into the neighborhood and our guests. For it is not uncommon for our regulars to be overheard chatting it up with our staff about their upcoming cocktail recipes and being offered tastes of the concoctions they have dreamed up for days and weeks leading up to the event. Going on our fourth year here in the Arts District, we couldn’t be more excited for the year’s event as well.” – Joseph Tremba, The Fat Dog
So how can we help choose a winner? Go to The Fat Dog NoHo and try one of the top four cocktails, or all of them.
Here are the top four finalists!
1) On a cheese plate, put red wine glass in center with 1 big cube.
2) Add 2 oz Sparkling Rose
3) Then add 2 oz Cucumber infused lemonade
4) Get (2) 3/4oz shot glasses. Pour 3/4 oz El Jimador Blanco in one and 3/4 strawberry puree on the other.
5) Garnish plate with mint and 2 Strawberries
6) Garnish with 1 dog spear to stir.
1) In a tin, muddle 1 sage leaf, 1 cucumber slice
2) Add 3/4 oz lime juice
3) Add 3/4 oz Hibiscus syrup
4) Add 1.5 oz El JImador Blanco
5) Add 0.5 oz Habanero infused mescal
6) Shake strain, pour over sage cube in a redwine glass rimmed half with Tajin.
7) Garnish with edible Hibiscus flower
THIS SHITZU IS BANANAS:
1) In a small tin, muddle small piece of pineapple and 1/4 oz lime juice
2) Add 1/2 agave (demerara syrup)
3) Add 1/2 oz creme de banana
4) Add 1.5 ounce spiced rum
5) Shake/double strain into a Coup glass
6) Top with Salted coconut foam
7) Garnish with a Banana Pocky and spritz with Kaffir lime tincture
EAT, PAW, LOVE:
1) Build in a small tin
2) Add 2 oz Hendricks Gin
3) 1/2 oz Giffard Apricot Liquor
4) 5-6 dashes Rose Water
5) 1/2 ounce agave
6) 3/4 lemon
7) Shake/strain into a Brandy glass filled with regular ice and rimmed with sugar rose rim (dehydrated roses)
8) Top with 1 oz Champagne
9) Thyme and Rose petal garnish.
Follow The Fat Dog on Instagram!
**** For information on Los Angeles theatre, tickets to theatre in North Hollywood’s NoHo Arts District, theatre reviews, the NoHo Event Calendar, restaurants, news and local businesses in NoHo, or anything and everything about the NoHo Arts Community, bookmark nohoartsdistrict.com. Follow us on Twitter @OfficialNoHo. On Instagram @NoHoArtsDistrict and Facebook @NoHoArtsDistrict.