Most of us have dreamt of studying abroad at some of the best universities across the globe at one point or another. While the prospect of attending school or even settling down in a foreign country sounds exhilarating, there are substantial risks that come with it. It can be anything from basic issues like loss of passport to critical situations like medical emergencies or accidental death.
Sometimes the fear of such risks and possibilities even pushes some people to drop the idea of studying abroad altogether. However, you can easily secure your stay abroad by planning ahead and investing in travel insurance for students. A student travel insurance policy covers a range of both medical and non-medical risks, making your dream of studying abroad a reality. Moreover, many international universities have now made it compulsory for aspiring students to buy travel insurance.
Now let’s dive into the specifics of travel insurance for students:
What Do Student Travel Insurance Plans Include?
While all travel insurance plans for students vary based on the insurance provider you choose, here are some common features that are and should be covered:
- Emergency hospitalization, including OPD and IPD charges
- Treatment for pre-existing conditions
- Further treatment in the home country, if required
- Medical evacuation to home country
- Accidental death compensation if travelling in public transport
- Body repatriation
- Tuition fee
- Bail bond insurance
- Dental treatment
- Loss of passport and check-in baggage
- Trip delay or cancellation
- Study interruption, indemnification of tuition fee
What Is Not Included in Student Travel Insurance?
Even thoughtravel insurance for students offers comprehensive coverage, it is best to know thethings that are typically not included in the plan:
- Cosmetic treatments
- Health issues caused due to breach of law
- Self-inflicted injuries, including suicide
- Medical costs related to alcohol and drug abuse
- War or nuclear threats
- Venereal diseases, including HIV/AIDS
- Claims subject to hazardous activities
- Injury caused due to adventure sports
The Eligibility Criteria for Student Travel Insurance
Before you look for an insurance provider or narrow down on the available plans, it is crucial to know the eligibility criteria first. Although all travel insurance for student plans differ according to their inclusions and exclusions, the eligibility criteria are more or less similar. Regardless, it is recommended to always read each detail carefully. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- The minimum age for entry is typically 12 years
- The maximum age generally extends up to 40 years
- Renewal age is the same as maximum entry age
- Policy tenure ranges anywhere between 1 to 24 months, depending on the policy buyer’s choice.
- The policy buyer/holder should be enrolled for courses in a registered institution
- Sum insured can be easily customized but typically goes up to $10,00,000
Secure Your Stay Abroad with Student Travel Insurance
When buying travel insurance for students, you will come across several plans, and the best part is that most of them are quite flexible. Though we have covered all the important information regarding student travel insurance, here are two more key points to remember:
- The travel insurance plan’s premium is calculated based on several factors, including trip duration, age, destination, and sum insured.
- Make sure you save all contact information of the service providers available in the country you will be studying in, as you need to inform the provider about any (and every) claim.
One of the key findings of an All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) was that the country’s total enrollment in higher education is estimated to be around 37.4 million. This huge but motivating figure is also an indication of the rise of education awareness in India – which has further resulted in students aspiring to study abroad.
However, studying in a foreign country comes with its own set of challenges, but with the right student travel insurance policy, you can secure your stay abroad. You can purchase travel insurance for students from insurers like Care Health Insurance that provide access to multiple options. So, don’t hold back and turn your dream into reality today!