Looking for an online acting class?
There are a lot of them out there, especially now. If you are considering an online acting class, here are some things to keep in mind:
- You are putting your emotional vulnerability in the hands of someone.
- There is no official certificate for being qualified. Anyone can call themselves an acting teacher, and with a lot of online classes going on, there are a lot of new people out there.
- You are making an investment; financially, personally, and energetically. Do your research and make the best decision for you.
- Audit 3-5 classes to get a comparison and see what is out there.
Here are a few questions to answer when considering an online acting class:
- How long has the teacher been doing this work?
- Do they have a website? How long in business?
- Are they a solo teacher or do they work for a school? And why?
- What is their curriculum?
- How much is the class?
- How many people in the class?
- Will the classes be recorded? If so who will see them?
- How often will you actually work in the class?
- Any reviews or references?
- Why are they teaching on line classes?
- What is their vision statement about their work?
- What is their technique?
- What is their background? Educationally and professionally.
- How long a commitment do you need to make?
- What specifically will you get out of the class?
- Can you audit the class?
- Do they charge for the audit?
- When auditing a class, is it an observation audit or a participating audit?
- How will the teacher “see” you and “get” who you are?
- What techniques and exercises happen in the class?
Most importantly, it has to “feel” right and be a fit for you. It is very personal.
I think finding a good acting teacher is like finding a doctor, a fitness coach, or a therapist. You want to be “seen”, challenged, pushed, yet feel safe. If it doesn’t feel right take a good look at why. You can and should try a class and see how it goes. Be cautious about those requiring a long term commitment and a lot of money upfront. Your concerns can be great instincts, trust them. After all, so much of acting is about instinct.