Why the Arts Matter Top 10 List
The NoHo Arts District dot Com team thought this list from the California Arts Council was a lovely way to close out 2013 and start off 2014 on a happy, positive, thankful, art-filled note. Our North Hollywood neighborhood may only be one square mile but we have a love for the arts as big as any major city.
The California Arts Council put together a snazzy Top 10 list of reasons why art matters to Californians. Can we think of why art matters to us here in the NoHo Arts District?
1) Student achievement – Arts education results in higher grades and increased graduation rates.
“The arts bring kids to school even on the rainiest of days.” – William Safire
2) Health care – Arts’ healing benefits result in shorter hospital stays and better pain management; music therapy helps stroke and head injury patients regain their ability to speak.
“Music, the visual arts, and movement can unlock glimmers of understanding in patients experiencing memory loss.” – The Indianapolis Star
3) 21st century workforce – Creativity is the #1 attribute sought by today’s employers.
“At Boeing, innovation is our lifeblood. The arts inspire innovation by opening our minds to think in new ways.” – W. James McNerney, Jr., Chairman, The Boeing Company
4) Civic Pride – A high concentration of arts in a city leads to less poverty, more civic engagement, and social cohesion. “Breathes there the man with soul so dead Who never to himself hath said, This is my own, my native land!” – Sir Walter Scott, poet
5) Cross-cultural harmony – The arts help people express values, feel empathy, and triumph over their differences.
“Dance first. Think later.” – Samuel Beckett, playwright
6) Overcoming incarceration – Arts programs in prisons help reduce recidivism rates.
“Being creative is an argument against a sense of worthlessness.” – Wayne Kramer, rock guitarist, composer, philanthropist, arts activist, ex-con
7) Creative economy – The creative industries employ more than half a million Californians.
“The arts are a very good investment … Imagination is what keeps us number one.” – Nancy Pelosi, first female Speaker of the House
8 ) Go West, Young Artist – More artists live in California than in any other state in the country.
“Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.” – Twyla Tharp, Choreographer
9) Tourism – Arts travelers stay longer and spend more money than the average tourist.
“An artist is somebody who produces things that people don’t need to have.” – Andy Warhol, artist
10) No Reason at All – Art is its own reward.
“The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.” – Pablo Picasso, artist
The NoHo Arts District dot Com team has one New Year’s resolution: find more ways to support the arts.
How can we do this? Easy. Go see even more theatre. Take more dance classes. Buy more art. Go to more concerts. See more films. The added bonus is all of these are fun.
To show your passion for the arts year round for the world to see, get your ART PLATE.
**** For information on Los Angeles theatre, tickets to theatre in North Hollywood’s NoHo Arts District, theatre reviews, the NoHo Event Calendar, restaurants, news and local businesses in NoHo, bookmark nohoartsdistrict.com.