Sometimes that alarm can go off pretty early for some of us, and if you’re like me, you don’t exactly spring out of bed yelling; “I can’t wait to sieze the day”.
But incorporating a few rituals upon awakening can really help you to ease into the day with a proper mindset, warmed up body, and full energy level.
1. Drink an 8 ounce glass of water immediately upon waking. This rehydrates your body and organs, starts up your metabolism, flushes out toxins, and simply refreshes.
2. Do some standing hip circles. This is a great way to start to get the blood flowing throughout your body, while loosening up the hips and all the muscles that attach to it from your back and legs.
3. Do some neck circles. Many people complain of stiff necks after a night’s sleep, usually due to ineffective pillows or old mattresses. Doing some gentle, slow neck circles will help to get blood circulating to your brain and loosen up those neck muscles.
4. Reach up high over your head. Pretend you’re reaching for the sky and hold for 10 seconds. This helps to warm up your core and loosen up those upper rear back and shoulder muscles. Repeat a couple times if you like and try to be in the moment, not thinking about the past or future. Maintain steady deep breathing, at a pace of inhale 4 seconds, exhale 4 seconds.
5. Greet the day with intention. Open a curtain or step outside to a patio or porch and get in the right frame of mind for your up-coming day. A mantra you say out loud or think to yourself such as “hello day, I’m grateful for what I have, will try my best today, and will help others whenever I can” will set a positive tone for the day.
How else could I end this article but by simply saying: “HAVE A NICE DAY”
Jack Witt, MS, CPT
Fitness and Health Coach
“Get Fit with Witt”
Individuals / Groups / Corporate
310.562.5629 Cell / 818.760.3891 Main
* Peru Adventure Trip with Machu Picchu Hike April 16-24, 2015