Uh oh. It’s a Tuesday, say 2:30p…lunch is digesting…your mind starts to lose focus…you feel sleepy….you’ve suddenly slipped into the mid-day slump-a-dump.
Does this scenario happen all too often? Maybe it’s at another time during the day, maybe it’s even all day!
There are a few quick natural remedies that’ll kick your mind and body back into high alertness gear.
1. Drink a glass of water. Most people are chronically dehydrated. We just don’t drink enough water. If you think you’re drinking just enough, your probably drinking way too little. If you think you’re drinking a lot, it’s probably more like almost enough. Once you drink a full glass of water, you’ll instantly feel more alert and energized.
2. Stretch. Most people don’t take enough time for stretching throughout the day. Tight and overactive muscles can drain the energy right out of your system. Take 5 minutes to stretch and you’ll feel 5 times better right afterwards.
3. Clear your mind while deep breathing. We’ve had so many thoughts racing through our minds by mid-day that it’s a good idea to take just 5 minutes and BE in those moments. Try not to think about the past or worry about the future. At the same time, you can focus on your breath and oxygenate your body by breathing with an inhale for 4 seconds and then exhaling out for 4 seconds. Repeat that 10 times and suddenly your body and mind are back awake and refreshed for the rest of the day.
4. Take a quick walk somewhere away from your desk/workstation. Just a simple change of scenery for a few minutes can help to recharge your mind and body and stir the creative juices and positive brain chemicals. Maybe it’s just down the hall, maybe it’s outside around the building, or better yet maybe it’s in a nearby local park or nature path. It’ll instantly re-boot your body-mind system and keep you in high gear for the rest of the day.
5. Adjust your lunch. If you eat too much or if you eat processed foods you’ll be tired and unfocused for sure in the mid-afternoon. Evaluate your choices and re-adjust your lunch eating choices if necessary. Your body is craving nutrients and antioxidants, it’ll let you know it’s not getting enough by making you lethargic and mentally run-down.
* New Book “From Passion to Purpose”
* Hike the Holy Land: Join me March 28 – April 5, 2016