I’m constantly asked about cost-effective ways to update or freshen up a kitchen.
Since it’s probably the most popular room we have, it should look its best. Since I am actually in the process of working on my own kitchen, it’s easy to share a few tips I’ve learned along the way. You don’t always need to break the bank on a kitchen remodel unless you’re completely remodeling the entire space. Even then, there are ways to be financially efficient.
- Take a look at the cabinets. Are they in good condition? If so, they just may need a good cleaning from everyday grime and grease. If not, consider painting them for a clean, fresh look. Be sure to take the proper steps in preparing the surface for the best results.
- Paint. Most of us know that painting the walls can give a huge return on our initial investment. It is one of the most inexpensive ways to update a room.
- Hardware. Try changing the cabinet door and drawer pulls. With so many styles to choose from, it can be an inexpensive way to create that wow factor. Subtle changes can really go a long way in updating any space.
- Countertops. If you’re feeling a bit more adventurous, why not consider changing the counters. With the prefabricated slabs, you can really change things up since they are a fraction of the cost of full granite or marble slabs.
- Backsplash. The same goes for the backsplash. There are many cost-effective options to choose from.
The points listed above are just a few things you can do to update. There are so many other ways to consider from appliances to flooring to window treatments. It all depends on the budget and amount of time you may want to invest to offset costs.