Easy and Natural Ways to Have White Teeth
We all yearn for the sparkling white teeth. This is because there is a direct relationship between the teeth and the physical beauty. The whiter your teeth, the more beautiful you look. Do you really need to spend lots of money to whiten your teeth? The answer is a resounding no. You can clean your teeth from the comfort of your home using natural methods.
There are different conventional ways of whitening your teeth. However, not all the methods are safe. Most teeth-whitening treatments use a chemical known as chlorine dioxide. Chlorine dioxide is capable of bleaching the enamel leaving it discolored (1). Some conventional methods of whitening teeth are also expensive.
Causes of Teeth Discoloration
Naturally, your teeth are supposed to be white. However, various discoloring agents end up making it turn yellow or even brown. Coffee, tea, soft drinks and even wine are just some of the notorious agents that can cause discoloration. Cigarette smoking can completely discolor your teeth and turn them brown (2).
Why Natural Remedies?
Do you know that a teeth whitening procedure can go wrong? Instead of whitening your teeth, you may end up damaging your teeth. Some chemicals that are used in the conventional methods can weaken the teeth. To rectify the problem, you may be forced to seek further medical attention.
On the other hand, natural remedies are very effective. They can whiten your teeth as long as you do what is required. They are not laced with any chemicals that can cause corrosion. This makes them a safer alternative.
There is also some level of convenience that comes with using natural teeth whitening methods: You can use them from the comfort of your home. You don’t need to consult an expert or go to a health facility. Natural whiteners are less involving and you don’t need to set aside several hours to apply.
3 Natural Teeth Whitening Methods
Here are the safest ways to whiten your teeth naturally:
#1. Baking Soda
Apart from being natural, it is also a pocket-friendly way of whitening your teeth. If you take a look at your toothpaste, you will discover that baking soda is one of the main ingredients. Some people even use it as a toothpaste on its own.
Using baking soda is quite easy. You simply need to mix a pinch of the baking soda with some purified water. You can then apply this mixture in your toothbrush then brush your teeth.
The soda will get rid of stains without damaging the enamel or inflict some pain on the gums. In addition to whitening the teeth, baking soda reduces the level of acidity in the mouth. This protects the enamel from corrosion.
- Mix baking soda with a few drops of water. It is recommended to use a half teaspoon of baking soda. You can enhance its strength by adding a few drops of lemon. The mixture should form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your toothbrush then brush for around two minutes. Do not brush for long as the baking soda can corrode the enamel.
- Rinse your mouth using water or even a mouthwash.
- Do the same thing daily.
#2. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a 100% organic product that cannot cause any harm to the human body. Most people use it to clean wounds. Apart from that, it is also a natural teeth whitener (3). It can remove stains from the enamel and prevent discoloration.
Before using hydrogen peroxide, ensure that you dilute it properly. The most recommend ratio of water to hydrogen peroxide is 1 to 1.5. Anything higher than this ratio can damage the enamel. Whoosh the mixture in your mouth then spit after five minutes. Be careful not to swallow it.
Steps: With a less than 3.5% of hydrogen peroxide, follow these steps:
- Mix 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide with 1 cup of purified water.
- Swish the mixture in your mouth for around 1 minute
- Spit the solution once you are done. Do not swallow it.
- Rinse your mouth using water or the best whitening mouthwash
#3. Oil Pulling
Most communities have been using this method for ages to maintain their oral hygiene. Oil pulling is slowly becoming acceptable even in the modern world. You only need to get cooking oil and swish it around in your mouth.
Sunflower, sesame and coconut oil are the most preferred cooking oils for teeth whitening (4). They have great taste and offer the body other benefits. In addition to removing stains, oil pulling helps to get rid of bacteria in the mouth.
- Put 1 or 2 tablespoons of organic oil into the mouth. It can be organic oil, sesame oil or any other oil that we have mentioned in the article.
- Swish the oil that is in the mouth for around 20 minutes. This is the most critical part as most people tend to be in a rush to spit out the oil. Ensure that it stays in the mouth for a minimum of 20 minutes. This time will be enough to break the discoloration layer and bacteria.
- Spit the oil. Do not spit in the sink as the thickness of the oil can clog the pipe. Be careful not to swallow the oil as it may be containing some bacteria.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water. You can do so by swishing the water for a few minutes then spit. You can use some salt to this water for better performance (5).
As you can see, you don’t have to spend lots of money to make your teeth white. These natural methods can achieve the results without causing any harm. In all these methods remember to rinse your mouth using the best whitening mouthwash.