The NoHo Arts District dot Com team goes every year, twice a year to the Beverly Hills artSHOW and many of our local artists exhibit their work.
The Beverly Hills artSHOW will hold its FREE spring event on Saturday and Sunday, May 20 and 21, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Beverly Gardens Park, along Santa Monica Boulevard, from Rodeo Drive to Rexford Drive. The Beverly Hills artSHOW, now in its 44th year, brings art enthusiasts together from all over Southern California and beyond. Artists come from Los Angeles, the Southwest, and the rest of the United States to introduce and sell their work in the garden heart of Beverly Hills. Artwork covers a dozen media, including Painting, Sculpture, Ceramics, Digital Media, Drawing, Printmaking, Glass, two and three-dimensional Mixed-Media, Painting, Photography, Sculpture and Watercolor.
Featured artists include those whose work represents Flight, and in some cases, Flights of Fancy.
• Jean-Christophe Dick, airplane pilot and aerial photographer, captures soaring visions of urban spaces, as does painter Bert Esenherz-Hewener, painting overhead views, almost plans, of a mythical urban city.
• Oil painter David Palmer catches hummingbirds in flight, along with a sensationally idealized atmosphere, in both his Hummingbird and Biosphere series. He presents a vision of the sky and air that we would all like to breathe.
David Palmer, Hummingbird #6, 12 x 12 inches, acrylic on canvas
• Sondra Wampler, a mixed media artist from New Mexico, creates large surrealistic landscapes of women and animals in gorgeous, fanciful settings.
• Desarae Lee, a printmaker from Salt Lake City, whose drawings are slightly reminiscent of Edward Gorey, also portrays animals, people, and people-like animals. Circus performers, along with other mercurial, often airborne creatures, grace her work.
Desarae Lee, Bear Dance
• Demonstrating plein air artists will include John Kilduff, Carol Steinberg, and newcomer Lisa Baldwin. Other demonstrators will include mixed media artist Seda Saar and jeweler Deidre Greene, who will both hold discussions of their work.
The show’s coordinator Karen Fitch McLean, reported that over 240 artists have been juried into the event in various categories; two-dimensional categories are the largest component of the show, especially painting and 2D mixed-media. Artists are available to discuss their work during the weekend, which McLean sees as one of the show’s primary joys, due to the artists’ knowledge of and zest for their work.
Category awards and major show awards, including the Mayor’s Purchase Award, Best of Show and Most Original Work, will be announced in a Sunday afternoon ceremony, at the show’s center, in front of the Lily Pond.
For those who want to visit last October’s winning artists, the following will be at the May show:
• Best of Show: Brian Blackham, Medium – Painting
• Best Display: Karchi Perlmann, Medium – Photography
• 1st Place in Digital Media, Tanya Doskova
• 1st Place in Drawing and Printmaking, Varoujan Hovokimyan
• 1st Place in Glass, Paul Harrie
• 1st Place in Mixed Media/Two-Dimensional, Minas Halaj
Minas Halaj, GIRL FROM WALL STREET 2015. Oil, emulsion, textile, mixed media on panel, 24×24 in.
• 1st Place in Painting, Stephen Palladino
• 1st Place in Sculpture, Theodore Gall
• 1st Place in Watercolor, Bannon Fu
In addition to exciting art, guests can enjoy live entertainment, children and family art projects, a diverse array of food trucks, the Wine & Dine garden, and the Beer & Brat garden at this free, fun event. Convenient, inexpensive parking is located directly across from the show grounds.
The 2017 artSHOW sponsors and media partners include: David Frank Design, Engel & Volkers, RPM Mortgage, Longshot Espresso, the LA Weekly, the Los Angeles Art Association, Fabrik Magazine, LA Art Party, Yelp, and the Beverly Hills Conference and Visitor’s Bureau. Food and Beverage support come from Premiere Events, Stella Artois, and Hint Water. The show’s charitable partner is Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, and its sister organization, Healing Art with Kids.
For general information about the May 2017 Beverly Hills artSHOW, visit www.beverlyhills.org/artshowinfo or call (310) 285-6830.
**** For information on Los Angeles theatre, tickets to theatre in North Hollywood's NoHo Arts District, theatre reviews, the NoHo Event Calendar, restaurants, news and local businesses in NoHo, or anything and everything about the NoHo Arts Community, bookmark nohoartsdistrict.com. Follow us on Twitter @OfficialNoHo. On Instagram @NoHoArtsDistrict and Facebook @NoHoArtsDistrict.