And in the midst of all of this travel, new projects, expanded opportunities, and collaboration with talented people, I’ve come to realize something. There really is magic in television and dreams can come true!
What seduced me to be in TV production was the promise of a life less ordinary and boy has that promise not only been delivered, but I’ve been inspired to dream bigger and reach higher. And it occurs to me that you can too.
I may have not been able to articulate exactly what I was dreaming of 10+ years ago, but I followed the longing inside me and it led me to the work that I love to do.
Here’s the top 5 Promises that my career has kept, what are yours?
• You will not be bored: This is the mother lode! Just in the past 2 weeks I have shot for 3 different clients in 3 different cities on 5 different projects. The creative exchange of ideas, the opportunity to witness those ideas coming to life, and the resourceful way that problems are solved keeps me on my toes and with no time to be bored or idle. Admittedly it takes a certain personality that runs well on all of this kind of crazy but I am never bored and it is always exciting!
• You will learn new things: And not just things like you really can put a large cow on a front yard in North Hollywood with a green screen behind it and make it look like the middle of Iowa. I’m talking new things about your character, new capabilities you possess and new ways to use Google Docs. Everyday I that I stay open and willing I learn something new and I love it!
• You will witness things you never even thought of: Grown men in piñata outfits hanging upside down comes to mind but also the beauty of being in different locations, the love someone has of their craft of making ice, yes, making ice. I once did a piece on a family that had been making ice for generations. I keep an attitude of curiosity and it is delightful.
• You will be asked to do things you never even thought of: Reindeer in July anyone? Human piñatas as soon as possible please, suspend the Cake Boss in the air and make him do tricks. It’s amazing to witness the creativity and vision that people express when given the opportunity and it’s inspiring to be a part of it. Express yourself!
• People will think you are cool: It’s true. Being in television conjures up images of life in a glamorous world of movie stars and awards parties, and you may be lucky enough to live in that world, but most likely you will have an unpredictable schedule, long work days, and wonder where your next job will come from. But it is filled with discovery, excitement, exploring your potential and working with a community of talented people. For me it’s totally worth it! And yes, we are cool! You’re cool too!
Here’s hoping all your dreams are coming true.
See you on set,