Well, this year is no different. Many who know me, know I love the winter and snow. I love taking winter vacations back east, staying in mountain retreats or lodges.
When I was younger my family stayed at a beautiful lodge in the Poconos one season. The mountains, large pine trees and the snow made it a magical visit. So this year I have a few tips to decorate for that mountain cabin feel.
1. I purchased a plain wreath for my front door. I simply added some pine cones along with berries, candy canes and a red velvet ribbon. I just wanted a touch of the mountain feel on the wreath.
2. Why not try a milk can and a few old lanterns to create a centrepiece. Simply find a table runner and add whatever you need to pull it together; more pine cones, tree branches, red plaid ribbon, etc. Add a few votive candles around the table for subtle lighting. Let your imagination guide you.
3. One thing I really love is using vintage ornaments for the tree. They really add to the relaxed feeling you have in the woods or mountains. Adding ribbon to the tree instead of garland is another layer.
4. When inviting guests over for the holidays, I really like to add touches all around. I like adding Christmas touches to the guest bath. I add a small tree or poinsettia to the counter along with holiday soaps and towels.
5. Lastly, I like to add something to the mantle. Garland, maybe small decorated topiaries and a few special ornaments finish off the room.
Whatever you decide to decorate with, just know to create your own style. And above all, have fun doing it.