Here are a few tips to get you started.
1. Plan ahead. Make the time to start your project. Not doing so could set you up for failure. Set aside a specified amount of time for each space.
2. Pick one room or just a closet to start. Make a plan of action that is doable and think about the end result.
3. Sort through items devoid of as much emotion as possible. Make three piles. One to save, one to donate, and one to discard. Stick to your plan and be ready to let go. I know it won’t be easy, but will be worth it once completed. Ask yourself when the item was last used or worn.
4. Take an inventory of the items to be saved. Do you really need them? How much space is needed to save these items?
5. For stored items, use clear containers or ones where you can label with the contents. This will allow easy access when searching for things. If storing things in a garage or basement, try using a different color for each room.
There are many places today to find just the right types of storage containers that will work for you. They come in all sorts of sizes and shapes to suit your needs. Try the larger home stores, containers stores or the discount stores. They offer options at all different price points.