1. First measure the height and width of the window.
2. Then measure the space between the top of the window and the ceiling or crown molding.
3. Next measure from the bottom of the window to the floor.
4. Measure from each side of the window to the corner or doorway.
What type of drapery panels
1. Choose the style of drapery panel that works for you. (Functional or Stationary)
2. Decide what length you need. Many people like the panels to go to the floor. Most panels are 84” to 96” long (ready-made panels), so rod placement is key. Average is about 4-5” above the window. Also, decide if you want to cover the entire width of the window or just frame the sides. I would take the panels about 5” past the window frame for a more professional look.
Drapery Rods and Installation
1. Choose the right rod for your panels. Most will take just a simple round rod, but some have larger pockets and will take a flat, wide rod. Be mindful that some panels will look better covering the whole rod, while others look better with a finial at either end of the rod.
2. Now you’re ready to install. You’ll need a measuring tape, pencil and a screwdriver or drill. After measuring, mark a spot on the wall and then place the brackets where appropriate and mount to the wall. Place panel on rod and fasten to the bracket. Step back to make sure it looks right and your panels are at the correct length.