I'm a local Health and Fitness Coach and Active Travel Specialist. I've been kickin' around NoHo for years getting involved in our community and charity projects, helping people with their wellness goals, and organizing and leading active excursions throughout LA and the world. I love this community and really enjoy blogging about all the things we do together and tips to keep us fit!
Some might argue that since the beginning of time, the true measure of a man’s brute and masculinity is measured by only one thing; no not that! His arms. Turn of the century circus type pioneering bodybuilder Eugene Sandow developed his arms to amazed onlookers, Arnold Schwarzenneger flexed his 22 inch arms to 7 Mr. Olympia titles, and children always want to be dazzled by how big their Dad or Uncle’s arms are.
They can also be referred to as “Toothpick Legs” and “Skinny Legs”.
We’ve all seen the guy in the gym with a big, massive muscular upper body reminding us of a super hero, but then one glance below the waist reveals a horrible epidemic amongst gym rat types; chicken legs. How can some guys be so impressive and intimidating from the waist up, yet so weak and weary looking from the waist down? Most skinny legs can be attributed to simple neglect.
It may also be called “Pot Belly,” “Jelly Roll” or “Muffin Top.” While drinking too much beer can certainly lead to "Beer Belly," it can also be caused by screaming "Git In My Belly" whenever you see junk food in front of you!
How to get rid of "Poochies"
Also known as "fatty knees", it's that fat pocket just above and/or slightly to the side of your knee cap where your quadricep (thigh) muscles end. It can keep you from wanting to wear shorts, skirts, and dresses as your knees look "bloated".
You've may have heard it from your mom or dad or a teacher while growing up: "Sit up Straight"! Sitting up straight is indeed very important, especially as we spend more and more time in front of our computers. A slouched sitting posture not only affects your back, but your neck as well, and interupts proper breathing and comprimises your energy levels.
Ok gals, I know it's unfair that women tend to deposit much of their fat on the thighs. So let's just take action right now and get those "Thunder Thighs" and "Saddle Bags" under control. It's all about slimming down your inner (adductor muscles) and outer (abductor muscles) thighs. You'll also want to incorporate some front thigh (quadriceps muscles) and back of the leg (hamstring muscles) too for the complete toned up look.
So, I want you to do these 4 resistance/weight bearing type exercises at least 3x per week for your thighs/legs, along with a daily cardio (at least 30 min.) routine for all around fat loss (jogging, stationary bike, elliptical etc.)
1. Lie on your side and lean up on your elbow. Place your top foot over your lower thigh.
2. Maintaining this position and raise your lower leg keeping it straight.
3. Repeat for 25 repetitions and then repeat with the other leg. 3 Sets each leg.
Hip Abduction with Ankle Tube
1. Place an ankle tube around your ankles and stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
2. Slowly extend one leg out to the side and then bring back to the starting position and repeat.
3. Keeping your hips level repeat to the other side for 25 repetitions. 3 sets each leg.
Stationary Body Weight Lateral Lunge/Squat
1. Start by placing your hands behind your head and your feet placed with a wide stance.
2. Shift your weight and hips to one side and squat down so that your hips drop down behind that foot.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat the same movement to the other side.
4. Alternate this movement back and forth completing 50 total repetitions (25 each side). 3 complete sets.
Prone Hamstring Curl with Ball
1. Lie on your stomach and place a stability ball or large medicine ball between your legs and hold it with the inside of your lower leg.
2. Curl your legs up while holding the ball until the ball reaches your butt.
3. Return to the starting position, and repeat for 25 repetitions. 3 sets.
Do your calves and ankles lack a defined indent? Do you feel like you have thick ankles? It may be hereditary and/or it may be excess body fat depositing itself in your calf/ankle area instead of your thighs, hips, or belly.
With summer here now, it's real important to make sure you stay properly hydrated. Since heat related illnesses often follow dehydration, staying hydrated is key. But how do you know when you are dehydrated? One simple method is to check the color of your urine. I know it sounds kind of gross, but it's a simple and quick way to get a gauge on things.
Are you tired of your arms flappin' in the wind? Do you ever wish you could just snip off some of that arm fat? It's time to roll up your sleeves and get down to work on exercises for your arm.
You can feel it in the air! Summer is just around the corner. The days are longer, the sun is brighter, and you'll be dipping in the pool or soaking near the sand with a smile. Here's 10 quick tips to get you fitting into your bikini or bathing suit in no time, and enjoy your sun worshiping.