I'm a local Health and Fitness Coach and Active Travel Specialist. I've been kickin' around NoHo for years getting involved in our community and charity projects, helping people with their wellness goals, and organizing and leading active excursions throughout LA and the world. I love this community and really enjoy blogging about all the things we do together and tips to keep us fit!
Back pain is the second leading symptom for physician visits in the United States. And you know, as well as I do, we all experienced it at some point or some degree in our lives.
As a senior fitness specialist for many people over the age of 65, I always incorporate exercise to improve balance into sessions. That's because each year, more than 1/3 of people over the age of 65 fall. Injuries from falls, such as hip fractures, are serious and prevention is the key.
Sometimes that alarm can go off pretty early for some of us, and if you're like me, you don't exactly spring out of bed yelling; "I can't wait to sieze the day".
Happy Holidays everybody! I've asked a few of my local clients and friends to submit to me their best simple, fun and easy healthy holiday recipes for deserts and goodies. So here's your chance to enjoy something delicious treats and not pack the average 7.5 pounds on over the Holiday Season this year. Enjoy!
Leslie's Santa's Holiday-Healthy Reindeer Crisp Mix
3 cups popcorn (air-popped, no butter)
3 cups healthy corn or rice cereal
2 cups pretzel bits (low or no salt)
0.5 cup unsalted roasted almonds
0.5 cup dark chocolate-coated acai berries and/or blueberries
0.5 cup dried cranberries
0.5 cup dried mixed fruits
* Gently combine all ingredients in large bowl.
* Adapt proportions to taste.
* Serve Santa's Holiday-Healthy Reindeer Crisp Mix in the large bowl at holiday party, and/or divide into sandwich bags for kids' holiday party snacks, lunch box snacks, etc.
Leslie is a Los Angeles based indie author www.leslielemonauthor.com with books including "The Disneyland Book of Secrets" and "Cat, Dog, Pig and Owl".
Annie’s Winter Compote
This compote can be used as a topping over frozen or regular non-fat yogurt, as a wonderful side dish for your holiday meal or just by itself as a delicious and healthy snack. This recipe makes enough for 2 servings. If you want more just double!
1 apple (any kind will do)
1 pear (any kind will do)
Handful of raisins (optional)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 Cinnamon stick
Chopped pecans (optional)
Core, peel and chop apple, pear and raisins. Place fruit, brown sugar and cinnamon stick in a 1 quart pot with enough water to barely cover fruit. Cook on a small flame until fruit is soft, maybe 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick and transfer to bowl and mash lightly with a fork, adding sprinkles of nutmeg and ginger to taste. Sprinkle a few nuts and enjoy! Can be eaten warm or cold.
Annie runs a vintage store in the Sherman Oaks Antique Mall called "Baby Dix" in Space 125 – special holiday sale through January!
Kara's Vegan Apple & Persimmon Crisp
· 3 heaping c ups of tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
· 2 heaping cups of persimmon thinly sliced
· 1/2 cup sugar or 1/3 cup agave
· 1 cup water
· 2 Tbsp cornstarch
· 1 Tbsp cinnamon
· ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
· ⅛ tsp ground cloves
· 1 cup flour
· ¾ c quick oats
· ½ cup brown sugar or 2 Tbsp maple syrup
· ½ cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread http://earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/
1. Spread apples in an ungreased 9×13″ pan.
2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, water and cornstarch, stirring constantly until thickened and semi-translucent.
3. Pour mixture over apples.
4. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
5. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, and brown sugar. If you use maple syrup, you will need to slightly increase the amount of flour.
6. Mix in the Earth Balance until mixture is crumbly- I use my hands for this part!
7. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over apples.
8. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden.
Kara and her husband David run Twisted Bread, featuring fresh, homemade vegan Challah in Los Angeles. http://gettwistedbread.com/
Jack Witt, MS, CPT
Fitness and Health Coach
"Get Fit with Witt"
Individuals / Groups / Corporate
310.562.5629 Cell / 818.760.3891 Main
* Peru Adventure Trip with Machu Picchu Hike April 16-24, 2015
We all know gyms and fitness centers are havens for germs. Norovirus, which causes stomach pain, vomiting, and diarrhea, can survive for up to 30 days on exercise equipment. Foot infection fungi are just waiting for you in the showers, and microbes like MRSA that can lead to skin infections are lurking all over the locker room for you.
With the weather cooling down a bit here in SoCal in our "winter" months, it's usually terrific hiking weather. So start planning some day hikes and really enjoy the sights and sounds and the scenery that outdoors and nature has to offer.
By far the most mesmerizing, beautiful, and historical trip I've ever done was recently to Jordan and Israel where I "Hiked the Holy Land", experiencing the sights, sounds, aromas and peoples in a more intimate and real way.
Many people go on Pilgrimages to Holy Sites and Lands, leading them to places of sacred and historical value. The goal may be to find peace about a recent troubling event, to seek guidance for a big decision, or to refresh with a spiritual connection to God.
Having a panic attack is no fun. Feeling anxious and nervous certainly isn't very much fun either. But millions of people suffer these symptoms each and every day and don't know how to control it naturally (without meds), and/or they don't take the time to practice what they might know will help: Deep Breathing.